ZSE40 4-in-1 Sensor Resources

Here is a list of resources to help you troubleshoot your Zooz ZSE40 4-in-1 Sensor and navigate the documentation that’s already out there :white_check_mark: This product was discontinued in 2023. We replaced it with an updated ZSE11 model.

We try our best to keep the Zooz Support Portal updated and continue adding helpful articles every day so take a look at the most popular docs first, there’s a good chance your question has already been answered! :point_down:

:question: ZSE40 FAQ: the best place to start :smiling_face:

:point_right: How Often Should My ZSE40 4-in-1 Sensor Report to My Hub?

:inbox_tray: OTA Firmware Update Files: read all of the disclaimers carefully before applying an update to your device to avoid accidental bricking :skull_and_crossbones:

:memo: ZSE40 Change Log: where we keep track of all the updates made to the hardware and software of the device.

:zap: ZSE40 Specs: make sure you use the device with the right power source and keep it under acceptable conditions.

:gear: ZSE40 Advanced Settings: learn how to customize your device.

:ring_buoy: Detailed Support for ZSE40 4-in-1 Sensor & Your Hub: :ring_buoy:

How to Identify ZSE40 4-in-1 Sensor Hardware Version?

I have two ZSE40 4-in-1 Sensors that have served me well for a number of years. One clearly has v1 hardware: it has two AAA batteries and firmware v16.09. Per the Change Log, it appears it can be upgraded to firmware v17.09 – but that firmware file does not seem to be available for download. Furthermore, the Change Log indicates two v1 hardware releases, differing only by date & firmware version.

• Am I correct in assuming v1 hardware generally cannot accept OTA firmware updates?

My other ZSE40 is clearly marked “VER 2.0” on a black sticker on the rear of the unit and it has the CR123A battery. Sure seems like v2.0 hardware! But it has v17.09 firmware–which the Change Log shows as applicable to Hardware v1.0 only!

• Is it safe to attempt upgrade of this device’s firmware? The available firmware file for v2.0 hardware indicate that firmware v32.12 is only for hardware version ZSE40 VER. 2.0 (with) firmware version 32.02/32.2–which implies to me my unit is not upgradable. Is that correct?

The last paragraph on the Chang Log cautions the , “700 series can be updated via OTA firmware updates but most of the 500 series model also underwent hardware changes that make it impossible to update to a newer version. Please check your model and version carefully before updating it.” So far, I’ve resisted the temptation…

Perhaps the documentation could be more clear. Or perhaps I’m just hopeful! :grin:

The 500 series ZSE40 is unable to be updated due to hardware changes between the units; this is why we don’t have 17.09 firmware listed in the files.
For the second unit, if it is not running at least 32.02/32.2 then it is unable to be updated to any further versions. If it’s hardware VER 2.0, it should have a minimum of 24.16FW.
However, there were multiple hardware revisions on this device, not all of which were fully documented as this device has been updated over a longer period of time than most of our devices, and as our documentation practices have likewise been evolving.
For the ZSE40 units, I would recommend going by the current firmware listed for the device and following the recommendation in the firmware files regarding what units are able to be updated, to avoid bricking a unit.

1 Like